S&P 500 2,441.20 17.28
Gold$1,224.80 $5.30
Nasdaq 6,253.81 61.92
Crude Oil $60,490.00      $-1570.00
Market Update

Hocim and Lafarge to Merge, Mallinckrodt to Buy Questcor


Author: Bikram Pandey
ticker.com
Last Update: 11:15 AM ET April 07 2014

Three large merger deals in U.S., Europe and India dominated Monday news as traders focused on highflying tech stocks.

Switzerland based Holcim Ltd and France based Lafarge SA agreed to merge and form the world’s largest cement maker with revenues of $40 billion.

The construction recession in Europe has forced consolidation in the cement industry. The two companies will plan to sell assets with 5 billion euros in revenues to win regulatory approvals.

Holcim will offer one share for each share held in Lafarge SA.

India Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited agreed to buy generic drugmaker Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd for about $3.2 billion.

Under the terms, shareholders of Ranbaxy will get 0.8 shares of Sun Pharma. The deal is expected to close by end of this year and is the sixth large purchase by Sun in as many years.

Japan based Daiichi Sankyo Co agreed to sell its 63% stake in Ranbaxy in exchange of 9% stake in the merged Sun Pharma.

Daiichi paid 61% more for Ranbaxy and the India based generic drugs maker faced production problems and U.S. regulatory inquiries that has hurt profitability of the company.

Ireland based Mallinckrodt PLC agreed to acquire Questcor Pharmaceuticals for $5.2 billion and diversify its business.

Questcor stock holders will receive $30 a share in cash and 0.897 Mallinckrodt stock for each stock held totaling $86.10 per Questcor. The entire transaction is valued at $5.6 billion.

After the deal, Mallinckrodt will control 50.5% and former Questcor shareholders will control the remaining 49.5% in the merged company.

Mallinckrodt PLC (MNK) stock declined 3.2% to $60.48 and Questcor (QCOR) soared 17.1% to $79.39.

  1
Sources: Data collected by 123jump.com and Ticker.com from company press releases, filings and corporate websites. Market data: BATS Exchange. Inc